Habitat for Humanity International’s vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Anchored by the conviction that safe and affordable housing provides a critical foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty, Habitat has helped more than 3 million people to construct, rehabilitate or preserve homes since 1976. Habitat also advocates for fair and just housing policies and provides training and access to resources to help more families improve their living conditions. As a non-profit Christian housing organization, Habitat works in more than 70 countries and welcomes people of all races, religions and nationalities to partner in its mission.
The “Podlson Za Chovechestvoto” Foundation (Habitat Bulgaria) promotes the idea of ad- equate living conditions as a basic human right and works to intensify the awareness of the society towards eliminating residential poverty. It also helps for solving residential problems of persons and families which do not have their own home and do not have sufficient funds to buy, construct or rent one, as well as of persons living in inadequate homes without having a possibility to repair and improve them. Habitat promotes the ideas and principles of partnership, public cooperation, voluntary work, concern and respect for other people’s needs.
Habitat has been working in Bulgaria since 2001, and the main organization activities have been oriented towards the following strategic directions:
- Construction of new dwellings;
- Giving a credit for housing improvements;
- Interest-free microfinance for improvement of the living conditions;
- Training on financial literacy;
- Participation in the development of policies and strategic documents concerning housing issues;
- Implementation of projects for social homes under the operational programs “Regional development” and “Human Resource Development” and for development of innovative thermal insulating materials of recycled textile, under the Operational Programme “Competitiveness“.
Habitat Bulgaria initiated the establishment of a national coalition for improvement of the living conditions in Bulgaria “Decent Home”and is its coordinator. So far, Habitat Bulgaria has helped more than 5 000 families in the whole country.